Family activities & tours
Free family activities & tours at Wat Tyler Country Park
A packed programme of workshops and tours led by Wat Tyler Education and Estuary 2021 artists can be enjoyed throughout the festival. Advanced booking required, via links below.
- Explosive Tales Discover the astonishing history of Wat Tyler Country Park and how the estuary shaped its past. Led by Basildon Heritage with Wat Tyler Education. (Suitable for ages 7+) Sat 22 May, Sat 29 May, Wed 2 June, Sat 12 June 3pm Book here
- Dynamite Valley Walk Dynamite Valley to discover the explosive secrets hidden all around you, from the ‘hidden ruins’ to the ‘Lake of Fire’. Led by Wat Tyler Education (Suitable for ages 6+) Sun 23 May, Sun 30 May, Thu 3 June 3pm. Book here
- Estuary 2021 tour Find out more about the artworks and the artists that made them! Led by Estuary 2021. (Suitable for ages 7+) 22 May, 23 May, 29 May, 30 May, 31 May, & 2, 3, 12, 13 June. Book here
- It’s a Plant Thing make and play some crafty creative games to get thinking about plants in a new way. Design your own survivor plant, make a fidget square that flips forever, and see what’s involved in making food out of thin air! Led by Wat Tyler Education. (Suitable for ages 2+). 23 May, 30 May, 3 June. Book here
- Water Wonders Water is a source of inspiration for many Estuary 2021 artists. Children from 2 upwards can enjoy a range of activities. Make a 'chromatography flower', create magical opening flowers and messages, and make giant bubbles! (Suitable for ages 2+). 22 May, 29 May, 2 June, 11am. Book here
- Letters to the Earth Children and adults around the world writing letters to the Earth. A “letter” can be written, spoken word, a song, a piece of public art or performance. Sat 22 May & Sat 12 June, 4pm Book here
- Make a Wish make your own mini clay well. Make an arch too, either a simple one or an outlandish and totally unique card one! Build and decorate your own mini pillbox. What would you use it for? (Suitable for ages 2+) 22 May, 23 May, 29 May, 30 May, 2 June, 3 June, 12.45 Book here
- My Wild Neighbours Join artist Kayley Passingham to explore the estuary habitat and create your own creature. With Wat Tyler Education (Suitable for ages 7+) 12 & 13 June, 12.45pm Book here
- Wildcrafting Adventure Join artist Lora Aziz and Wyrd Flora on a walking adventure with Wat Tyler Education (Suitable for ages 7+) 12 & 13 June 3pm. Book here
- Our Land is a creative intervention in the form of walking, listening and gardening. Part protest, part possession, part planting. 22, 23, 29, 30 & 31 May 11am-5pm (no booking required)
- PLOT: Waterlaid stories and discussions and collectively moving the sculptural well to its next location. Once at its new location everyone is welcomed to cast a wish by tossing a coin into the well (proceeds to WaterAid). 23 May 3pm, 29 May 1pm, 31 May 3pm, 12 June 12pm. Book here.
- REBEL Three performers walk pulling a horse-drawn trap on which is mounted one of Ackroyd & Harvey’s iconic grass photographs depicting a portrait of a rebel. At stopping points along the route, the three pitch camp and make their case for rebellion – from the court dock, from the earth and from the future. After each promenade the actors will run Block Printing sessions. Bring t-shirts or other clothing, fabric shopping bags and textiles or fabric offcuts that you would like to print up with various graphic images from Swallows to Butterflies and Bees. Sat 22 May
- Resistance, Sustenance, Protection Comics workshop Artist Rachael House is your expert guide helping to transform your wildest thoughts into a comic poster. No experience or skill in drawing or comics making required. Materials will be provided. (Suitable for ages 16+) 13 June 3-5pm. Book online.
- Arts in Transit Artist Lata Upadhyaya brings her Ford Transit van, transformed into a travelling art and conversation space, to Wat Tyler Country Park. (no booking required)
Download a pdf version of the family activities and tours brochure here: http://www.metalculture.com/wp-content/uploads/ESTUARY-2021-WATS-ART-FINAL.pdfAt all of our Estuary 2021 sites, you can complete your Discover Arts Award.Click here to find out how!